HYE Precision Products is a leading fabricator of large scale industrial components and tooling, with a reputation as a provider of complex high precision assemblies. We were approached by an aerospace manufacturer for the design, engineering, and fabrication of a composite bond assembly tool. This large assembly was designed for use in the fabrication of a service boom arm used for the space shuttle.
Our engineering team designed this assembly per the customer specifications; incorporating features such as a knee base air float system, with six degrees of adjustability, and an overall high degree of rigidity which helps to minimize deflection. In addition, a system of casters with three points leveling is also used to provide increased stability. Components were composed of aluminum and steel, and fabricated utilizing our in-house CNC machining and welding capabilities, as well as hard anodizing and painting. The finished assembly featured dimensions of 22′ in length with a weight of 3,650 lbs. The entire project, from design to delivery was completed in only 8 weeks.
To learn more about this project, or the processes used to fabricate it, see the table below or contact us directly.
Composite Bond Assembly Tool Project Highlights
- Product Description
- This tool is use to produce the service boom arm for the space shuttle.
- Design, Engineering, & Fabrication Capabilities Applied/Processes
Fabrication – CNC Milling, Welding
- Overall Part Dimensions
- 22.00′ Length
- Material Used
- Aluminum, Steel
- Material Finish
- Paint, Hard Anodize
- Additional Facts
- Design Details:
- Knee Base Incorporated Air Float Feature
- Knee Bases have Six Degrees of Freedom Adjustability
- High Degree to Rigidity to Minimize Deflection
- Three Point Leveling and Casters to Increase Stability
- Industry for Use
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 8 Weeks
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing
- Product Name
- Composite Bond Assembly Tool